We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
(AO-94: dp. 22,380; 1. 523'6"; b. 68'; dr. 30'l0"; s. 15.1 k.;
cpl. 255; a 1 5"; cl. Escambia; T. T2-SE-A2)
Mission Alamo was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 1829) on 16 July 1944 at Sausalito, Calif., by the Marinship Corp.; renamed Anacostia (AO-94) on 24 July 1944; launched on 24 September 1944; s ponsored by Mrs. Henry F. Bruns, the wife of Rear Admiral Tuns; and acquired by the Navy and placed in commission on 25 February 1945, Lt. Comdr. Thomas H. Hoffmann in command.
After a final fitting out period, the oiler left San Francisco Bay on 23 March 1945 and proceeded to San Die go, Calif., where she underwent three weeks of intensive shakedown training. Anacostia de parted the west coast on 27 April and set a course for Hawaii. She reached Pearl Harbor on 3 May and reported for duty to Service Squadron 8, Service Force, Pacific Fleet. Two days later, the vessel left Hawaiian waters and sailed to the Caroline Islands.
Upon her arrival at Ulithi on 16 May, Anacostia joined Task Group (TG) 50.8 and proceeded with that grou to Okinawa. Early in June, the oiler arrived in a designated fueling area off Okinawa and replenished the bunkers of various ships. After completing this task, she sailed to Saipan to take on a cargo of gasoline to be distributed among forces there at Okinawa. During August and September, Anacostia made two more roundtrips between Ulithi and Okinawa, taking on fuel at the former port and discharging it at the latter.
At the time of the Japanese capitulation on 15 August, Anacostia was in port in Ulithi. She moved on to Okinawa six days later and remained there through 25 October. The oiler then sailed to the Japanese home islands and touched at Kanoya on the 30th. She also visited the Japanese port of Kagoshima Kyushu. At each point, she acted as station tanker at Army air bases.
Anacostia got underway for the Philippines early in December and arrived at Manila shortly thereafter. She operated in Philippine waters for approximately two months before commencing another trip to Okinawa on 2 February 1946. From that island, she sailed for Pearl Harbor and reached Hawaiian waters on 7 March. The next day, she weighed anchor and shaped a course for the gulf coast via the Panama Canal. She transited the canal late in March and arrived at New Orleans, La., on 29 March.
Anacostia moved to Mobile, Ala., on the 30th and began inactivation preparations there. She was decommissioned at Mobile on 16 April 1946 and was transferred by the Maritime Commission that same day. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 May 1946.
he vessel was reacquired on 28 February 1948 by the United States Naval Transport Service. During the next two years, Anacostia operated along the east coast of the United States; made numerous voyages through the Suez Canal to Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain to take on petroleum; visited ports in England and northern Germany; carried out several trips to Aruba to load up with petroleum; and paid calls to Japanese ports of Yokohama, Yokosuka, and Sasebo.
She was assigned to the Military Sea Transportation Service (MSTS) on 18 July 1950 and reported to Tankers Co. Inc., for operation under an MSTS contract, was redesignated T-AO-94, and was run as a noncommissioned vessel manned by a civil service crew.
During the next seven years, Anacostia continued her service as an oiler. She made frequent trips to ports along the Texas gulf coast as well as to the Persian Gulf ports of Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain to take on petroleum. Her cargoes were then delivered to facilities at ports in Japan, England, the Netherlands, and Germany. The oiler remained active until December 1957, when she reported to Norfolk, Va. She was then turned over to the Maritime Administration and laid up with the National Defense Reserve Fleet in the James River. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 17 December 1957.
Anacostia earned one battle star for her World War II service.
Founded as the Anacostia Neighborhood Museum and opened in 1967, the Anacostia Community Museum was envisioned by S. Dillon Ripley, then-Secretary of the Smithsonian Institution, as an outreach effort by the Smithsonian to the local African American community. John Kinard, a local community activist and minister, was appointed founding director and employed his skills in community engagement, organizing, and outreach to shape the practice and direction of the museum. Following the inaugural exhibition, which was an eclectic mix of art and artifacts from other Smithsonian museums, local residents and museum advisory board members expressed a desire to have a museum that was relevant to their experiences and history. Therefore, a slate of exhibitions and public programs focused on African American history, community issues, local history, and the arts was developed. The change was exemplified by such exhibition projects as the Frederick Douglass Years, Lorton Reformatory: Beyond Time, The Rat: Man's Invited Affliction, The Anacostia Story, and the Barnett-Aden Collection. Educational programming focused on bringing a wide array of arts and cultural experiences to local school children and adult audiences. The museum made a strong connection with local school teachers to engage with the museum in program development. Additionally, the museum established a hands-on children’s room and convened a youth advisory council. This work established the museum as a model for community museums and a principal force in the African American museum movement.
Beginning in the 1980s the exhibition program turned to broader national themes in African American history and culture with a focus on preservation of that history. Spearheaded by director John Kinard, this work also served as a platform for his major efforts to advocate for the emerging African American museum movement. Exhibition projects included The Renaissance: Black Arts of the Twenties, Real McCoy: African American Invention and Innovation, and Climbing Jacobs Ladder: The Rise of Black Churches in Eastern American Cities, 1740–1877. The museum established an ongoing program focused on church archives, along with an education program series on the preservation of family history. These efforts included a collection day event that brought hundreds of local citizens and their family heirlooms, works of art, and vintage collectibles together with conservation and content specialists.
The exhibition Speak to My Heart: Communities of Faith and Contemporary African American Life was the first of a series of exhibitions presented by the museum in Smithsonian galleries on the National Mall. This effort was followed by a series of traveling exhibitions featuring African American artists and creators. Public programs featured national figures, such as André Leon Talley and Camille Cosby, and large scale special events including a Carnival Masquerade Ball and the Capital Children's Carnival. The name of the museum was revised to the Anacostia Museum and Center for African American History and Culture to be inclusive of these efforts.
In 1994, the museum developed the documentation and exhibition project entitled Black Mosaic: Community, Race and Ethnicity Among Black Immigrants in Washington. This groundbreaking exhibition, which celebrates its 20th anniversary in 2014, revealed the transformation of communities in Washington, DC, impacted by new immigration to the city. From this project educational programming grew to serve broader audiences and fostered unique music programming such as Africa Fête, Musica Latina, and the exhibition and program project Beyond the Reggae Beat.
In 1999, the museum formalized its commitment to local school children by establishing the Museum Academy, a program that continues to provided afterschool and summer programming, utilizing a museum-based curriculum, for 40 children in Washington's Ward 7 and Ward 8 neighborhoods.
Reconnecting to early work focused on community issues and local history, recent projects have included documentation, exhibitions and public programs focused on community arts and creativity the impact of school bands in the District of Columbia the development of Washington, DC neighborhoods east of the Anacostia River and a multiyear initiative documenting citizen action to reclaim urban waterways, in particular the Anacostia River. Most of these projects include extensive community engagement, photographic documentation, collection efforts, and extensive oral history documentation. Much of this work falls under the museum's Community Documentation Initiative. In 2006 the museum's name was changed to Anacostia Community Museum, reflecting a renewed commitment to examining issues of impact to contemporary urban communities.
Throughout its storied history of over 50 years, the museum has remained relevant, developing documentation projects, exhibitions, and programs which speak to the concerns, issues, and triumphs of communities and which tell the extraordinary stories of everyday people.
So, where did we get started?
This Texas Historical Marker indicates an official record of when the first Church of Christ congregation in Hill County was founded. It is on the grounds of what is now the present-day Prairie Valley Baptist Church and the cemetery across the street from it.
It all started when…
The first Church of Christ in the Hill County area of Texas was founded in 1857 by a collection of settlers in the area around Prairie Valley. Early records are sparse, but the first recorded members of the church were W.J. Rape and his wife, who moved to the area around Whitney in 1898. Will Nuckols and his family would move into the area shortly thereafter. The church met in a one-room school building and the early documents indicate that Mr. Rape led the first services as well as songleading. It is also indicated that a local schoolteacher named P.J. Sherman was the church’s first secretary and Bible class teacher.
This photograph, taken before 1968, is one of the few photographs remaining of the building that was on the grounds prior to the one that stands today. This building would be dismantled and taken out of town on trailers to a field outside of town.
In 1903, the church purchased the building and property of the Presbyterian Church in the city of Whitney and moved the church there, where it remains to this day. The building in Prairie Valley was sold to the Missionary Baptist Church and the physical location has now become the Prairie Valley Baptist Church. The story of how this move came to be is a fascinating read.
And examination of court papers and deeds filed from 1879 to 1910 indicate that the property was under some sort of lien due to a lawsuit that was filed by the Texas Central Railway Company. A house was built on the land, and a lien for materials were taken out in 1880 and the matter was adjudicated for the amount $279. The lot was sold to the church to satisfy the lien. The house on the property would eventually be demolished and replaced by a much larger structure around 1912. At the time of the filing in 1910, the elders listed were Sherman, Nuckols, and a third man named W.J. Roper.
The first contribution taken in the new church in the city of Whitney was twenty dollars. The church could not afford to buy communion bread at that time and the ladies of the church learned how to bake their own. In 1918, Tom Weeks and his family moved to the area and four years later, Mr. Weeks obeyed the Gospel and was baptized, eventually becoming the song leader and a Bible teacher in 1927.
Wedding of Margaret Curbo to Bert Brunett in 1968. This was one of the last ceremonies performed in the old ‘Towash Building’.
According to a deed filed at the Hill County Courthouse in 1946, part of the current property was sold to the church by the Harris family, the signatories to the sale of the property being P.J. Sherman and Tom Weeks. The more interesting part of this purchase seems to indicate that the witness to the deed being signed was Lt. Cdr Charles Loeb, USNR, the executive officer of the USS Anacostia (AO-94), a US Navy replenishment oiler while the vessel was at sea, some two weeks after the surrender of Japanese forces!
The current building following its completion. Photograph was likely taken in 1971.
In 1969, the old building was removed from the property and taken to a location outside of town where it stayed for years. A new building was planned and construction began in 1969 and work was completed in 1970. One of the most modern and advanced buildings in the town at that time, the congregation met in the cafeteria of the elementary school while work was underway. That elementary school is now the site of the current Whitney ISD Intermediate School.
This photograph, taken in 2002, is of Joe and Clona Blakeney. Joe was the pulpit minister from 1968-1984.
Joe Blakeney would serve as the first minister at the new building and would continue his ministry there until 1984.
Shortly before the construction of the building now in use today, the church hired Joe Blakeney as the pulpit minister in 1968. Joe, and his wife, Clona, moved here from the Texas Panhandle and he began his ministry here. Shortly after arriving, the church opened Iron Springs Christian Camp on the banks of the Brazos River. The church fully funded the camp’s operations for many years, and in 1984, Joe became the full-time director of Iron Springs. The camp’s doors closed in 1995, but before it did, it served the needs of thousands of young Christians from across the state of Texas. In 1984, the church employed Charles Horn as the pulpit minister, who stayed until 1992.
The Martin Family, early in Bruce’s ministry at Whitney. L to R are: Christina Martin, Bruce Martin, David Martin, Bruce’s wife Debbie Martin, then-elder Bob Dollar holding Emma Martin, Vannessa Martin, and Bob Dollar’s wife, Merle.
In 1992, the church hired a young minister named Bruce Martin out of the Galveston area. Bruce’s ministry is still going strong today as he continues to serve the Lord as a pulpit minister here in Whitney. Shortly after his arrival, the church began the long-standing clothing benefit that still exists today. Also during that time, foreign missions to Honduras, India, and Thailand were begun. The former library next to the building was purchased by the church. The church also began to help the Monterrey School of Preaching during the 90s.
A major refit and remodel of the interior of the sanctuary was begun in 2018 and completed within a year. New pews, carpet, and paneling were installed, updating the functionality of the building. A library was also added at that time.
The church continues to make new inroads in its ministry here at this lakeside community, living up to its history as a vibrant, working congregation of the Kingdom of God.
View your Microsoft Store order history
To review purchases you've made with your Microsoft account, track orders, and view invoices, sign in to the order history page on your Microsoft account dashboard. You can see info for purchases like apps, games, and subscriptions such as Microsoft 365 and Xbox Live. Make sure you sign in with the account you used to make the purchase.
To see past orders and past purchases, use the Show and Ordered within filters.
To print an order or its tax invoice, select Order details > Print / Tax Invoice.
If you have a question about your orders, select Order help.
Need more help? Here are some things you can try if something isn't right:
Make sure you're signed in with the Microsoft account you used to make the purchase. If you have more than one Microsoft account, sign in to each one to check your order history.
To change how you pay for a subscription, switch billing frequency, or cancel, select Services & subscriptions. For additional help, see Change how you pay for a Microsoft subscription.
To figure out why you can't download a game, app, or other software, see Fix problems with apps from the Microsoft Store.
To learn how to view your orders on your Xbox One console, check your Xbox purchase history.
For thousands of years before European explorers and settlers sailed up the Anacostia, Native Americans hunted and farmed along its shores and feasted on the bounty of fish and seafood they found in the river. In 1608, when Captain John Smith sailed up the Potomac and into the Anacostia, he marveled at its depth and clarity. The tribe he found living at the mouth of the river were traders and the name he recorded for them was “Nacotchtank,” which seems derived from the Native word for “a town of traders.” Over the years, that name evolved to “Nacostine” and later “Anacostine,” eventually giving us the names which we use today - “Anacostan” for the tribe and “Anacostia,” for the river.
Life got hard for the Anacostans in the 17th century, their location was choice for trade, but they were also the first tribe to be attacked by other Native tribes from the north. The settlers brought new diseases, which afflicted Natives throughout the Chesapeake, and conflicts that also cost them lives. In the 1660s, hard times caused the Anacostan chief to leave his tribal homestead, which was located where the Joint Anacostia-Bolling Base now sits. That land and much of the shoreline upriver on the Anacostia was cleared for farming by the settlers. (For more information about local indigenous history, visit DC Native History Project).
In the 18 th century, the Port of Bladensburg served as a major center for colonial shipping. Since the river was 40 feet deep, it was able to accommodate ocean going ships. The 19th century’s major industrial activity, including ship building at the Washington Navy Yard and coal gasification further upriver, supported a vibrant economy, but also contributed to the destruction of wetlands and the pollution that we still battle today.
Development along the river led to the destruction of the forests, meadows and wetlands that make for a healthy watershed. As run-off and sediment clogged the river and reduced its depth, and as the population living near the river increased, flooding became a serious problem. In what we now recognize as a counterproductive approaches, the Army Corps of Engineers built a series of levees designed to control flooding, further degrading the natural systems of the Anacostia.
History & Culture
Numerous events have made Anacostia Park the place it is today. Did you know that when you walk on this ground you are walking where Native Americans hunted? Early European explorers wondered? And where civil rights were gained? Learn individual stories by clicking on the icons below, or scroll down to view the complete timeline of Anacostia Park.
1000-1600's: The Nacotchtanks
1608: European Discovery
1790: Planning for the National Capitol
1812: The War of 1812
1861: Civil War Fortifications
1932: The Bonus Army
1900's: Development of Anacostia Park
1000-1600's: The Nacotchtanks
Long before the arrival of the first European explorers, a vibrant American Indian culture evolved around the abundance of fish, game, and other natural resources in the Anacostia River area for at least 10,000 years. In the 17 th century, the Nacotchtank Indians were the primary residents along the eastern shore of the Anacostia. Prosperous farmers, gatherers, hunters, and traders, the Nacotchtanks lived in the vicinity of what is now Bolling Air Force Base.
1608: European Discovery
Englishman John Smith explored the Anacostia, or Eastern Branch of the Potomac, in 1608. Smith’s arrival heralded both the rapid settlement of the land east of the Anacostia River by English landowners and the rapid decline of the Nacotchtanks. The legacy of the first human inhabitants of the area lives on to this day through the name “Anacostia” which is a latinization of the Algonquian name "Nacotchtank."
1790: Planning for the National Capital City
In 1790, President George Washington selected the 10-square-mile area around the confluence of the Potomac and Anacostia Rivers as the seat of the new federal government. The site appealed to him because Georgetown in Maryland and Alexandria in Virginia, both established in the 1750’s, already were thriving port cities along the Potomac River. The Anacostia River offered the potential for deep-water ports and was poised for significant harbor development.
Washington commissioned Frenchman Pierre L’Enfant to develop plans for the new capital. L’Enfant’s concept for the city was based upon classic European plans, which provided for public buildings to be located on prominent geographical features, grand boulevards that radiated outward and connected public buildings and parks, and large public spaces that served as appropriate settings for the public building. The ambitious architectural and landscape design also included a detailed street plan that extended from the Potomac River to its Eastern branch, as the Anacostia River then was called. Along the Eastern Branch, harbors, markets, and industrial sites were envisioned.
1812: War of 1812
1861: Civil War Fortifications
When fighting broke out between Union and Confederate forces in April 1861, the capital city was vulnerable to attack from pro-Southern sympathizers in Maryland and from other points. A ring of forts was developed around the capital city and included an extensive system of earthen forts that stretched into what is today the District of Columbia, Virginia, and Maryland. The forts established to guard the eastern approaches to the city, Fort Greble (current day Anacostia), Fort Carroll, and Fort Mahan (located just north of Benning Road), were three of the larger rudimentary earthen outposts located east of the Anacostia River.
1932: The Bonus Army
Reeling from the effects of the Great Depression, a large group of World War I veterans marched to Washington, DC, in the spring of 1932 to demand the immediate payment of a wartime bonus. Nearly 11,000 marchers established a camp at the Anacostia Flats (present-day Anacostia Park), where they created shanties from cardboard boxes and scraps of wood.
After Congress refused to meet the Bonus Marchers' demands, President Herbert Hoover ordered General Douglas MacArthur to remove them by force. Police and military personnel, including a tank unit led by Major Dwight D. Eisenhower, attacked the marchers on July 28, 1932, knocking down and setting fire to their shelters. Those not injured in the battle drifted back to their homes without the sought-after bonus. Read more on Bonus Expeditionary Forces March on Washington.
1900’s: Development of Anacostia Park
The appointment of the McMillan Commission by the U.S. Congress in 1901 set the stage for the development of Anacostia Park. Among its recommendations, the Commission urged that the Anacostia ‘flats’ follow the model of the East and West Potomac Parks – that the swamps be ‘reclaimed’ and the new lands used as gardens and recreation space for public use.
The reclamation of the silted Anacostia River and its transformation into a public park was an ambitious plan that would take several decades to complete. The Anacostia River and Flats Act in 1914 called for ‘continuing the reclamation and development of the Anacostia River’ and tidal plains.
To accomplish this task, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers constructed a seawall on the banks of the Anacostia, dredging the river bottom, and used the sediment to fill in the wetlands behind the wall. Park construction and landscaping projects continued throughout the 1920’s and 1930’s, surviving a series of cost overruns, work stoppages, and setbacks. This "reclamation" destroyed a natural wetland system. However, at the time the value of wetlands was not understood and they were generally thought of as "malaria swamps."
In 1933, management and oversight responsibilities for Anacostia Park were turned over to the National Park Service.
Anacostia AO-94 - History
Fort McHenry , in Baltimore, Maryland, is a star shaped fort best known for its role in the War of 1812 when it successfully defended Baltimore Harbor from an attack by the British navy in the Chesapeake Bay. It was during this bombardment of the fort that Francis Scott Key was inspired to write " The Star-Spangled Banner ," the poem that would eventually be turned into the national anthem of the United States as inspired by Colonel Caleb Cariton at Fort Meade South Dakota. the song was set to the tune of a British song "To Anacreon in Heaven". See the words at the bottom of this page.
The Rappahannock River is a river in eastern Virginia, approximately 184 mi in length. It traverses the entire northern part of the state, from the Blue Ridge Mountains in the west across the Piedmont to Chesapeake Bay south of the Potomac. T he name of the river comes from an Algonquian language word lappihanne (also noted as toppehannock), meaning "river of quick, rising water" or "where the tide ebbs and flows." This name was taken from the name given to it by the local native population the Rappahannock Tribe
The Rapidan River is the largest tributary of the Rappahannock River in North-central Virginia.
On the shore, dimly seen through the mists of the deep,
Where the foe's haughty host in dread silence reposes,
What is that which the breeze, o'er the towering steep,
As it fitfully blows, half conceals, half discloses?
Now it catches the gleam of the mo rning's first beam,
In full glory reflected now shines in the stream:
'Tis the star-spangled banner! Oh long may it wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
And where is that band who so vauntingly swore
That the havoc of war and the battle's confusion,
A home and a country should leave us no mo re!
Their blood has washed out their foul footsteps' pollution.
No refuge could save the hireling and slave
From the terror of flight, or the gloom of the grave:
And the star-spangled banner in triumph doth wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
O! thus be it ever, when freemen shall stand
Between their loved home and the war's desolation!
Blest with victory and peace, may the heav'n rescued land
Praise the Power that hath made and preserved us a nation.
Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our mo tto: 'In God is our trust.'
And the star-spangled banner in triumph shall wave
O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave!
Assigned to Naval Transport Service [ edit | edit source ]
The vessel was reacquired on 28 February 1948 by the United States Naval Transport Service. During the next two years, Anacostia operated along the east coast of the United States made numerous voyages through the Suez Canal to Ras Tanura, Saudi Arabia, and Bahrain to take on petroleum visited ports in England and northern Germany carried out several trips to Aruba to load up with petroleum and paid calls to Japanese ports of Yokohama, Yokosuka, and Sasebo.
A Brief History of Anacostia, Its Name, Origin and Progress
Anacostia appears on the oldest map of Captain John Smith, published in 1612 it is there called "Nacotchtank," Captain Smith in his "General Historic of Virginia'' tells us that he and his twelve companions in their explorations around the Chesapeake Bay and its tributary rivers, were well received by the Nacotchtank, who were the most northerly of those Algonquin Indian tribes which were surrounded by the Iroquois and which were known as the Powhatan Indians.
At Captain Smith's time the Nacotchtank were on the war path with the "Patawomeke" on the present Potomac Creek, Stafford County, Virginia.
About the year 1621, the pinnace Tiger with twenty six men was sent from Jamestown, Va., to trade corn with the Indians near the head of navigation on the Potomac River. They were attacked by the Nacotchtank and all were either killed or taken prisoners, among the latter was a young man, Henry Fleet. Remaining in captivity about five years. Fleet learned the language spoken by all the Powhatan Indians and which he used to great advantage after being ransomed, while trading for skins. He made two journeys during a year up the Potomac River to Nacotchtank.
One of these journeys, made in 1632, he has described in a ''Brief Journal of a voyage,'' the original of the description is in the Lambeth Palace Library in London. It was published, partly incorrectly, twice by E. D. Neil in ''Founders of Maryland and Colonization of America'' and then by J. Thomas Scharf in his "History of Maryland."
One passage in that journal is interesting for us, as it refers to the present site of Anacostia. Instead of Nacotchtank, Fleet uses the form Nacostine but in the earliest reports of the sessions of the Assembly and of the Council in St. Mary's, also in the reports which were sent to Rome by the Jesuit fathers who accompanied Leonard Calvert, and especially by Andrew White, the form with the prefix "A" is used: Anacostines. (Anacostans). Etymologically this form is perhaps the more correct, although the Indians themselves may have used the form without the prefix "A" as they often eliminated prefixes and suffixes of words.
Anaquash (e) tan (i) k which means a town of traders.
This explanation is very significant, for the present Anacostia and its surroundings: the villages of the Nacostine (extending from Bennings on the Anacostia River, thence along the Potomac River below Congress Heights to Shepherd's Landing and to Broad Creek Md., opposite Alexandria, Virginia), were before the arrival of the whites, lively trading posts, which were visited by the Iroquois from the present state of New York.
Even after the founding of the colony of Maryland, Leonard Calvert in a letter to an English merchant in London mentions three places in the province best suited for trading posts with the Indians. One of the three is Anacostan, on account of the visiting there of the Massameke, a collective name for the "Five Nations."
Soon after the year 1668 parts of the Indian tribes residing south of the Anacostia River were driven across it. About this time Anacostans settled the present Anacostine Island which appears on the map of Augustine Herman, of Maryland (1670) as Anacostine Isle.
By the foregoing it will be seen that years ago before the City of Washington was even contemplated or its site known by the white people, a small Indian village on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac River, called Nachatank was then one of the most important of several small settlements about the mouth of the Piscataway River.
As a good trading post, Nachatank, as named by the tribe of Indians settled there, in honor of their Chief Nachatank, became well known by many of the earlier European trading ships and the great abundance of game, the mild climate, and the genial natives found there, made this small port a favorite bartering point.
Father White, who accompanied Lord Baltimore on a visit describes the Nachatank Indians as a liberal and ingenuous disposition, with an acuteness of sight, smell and taste especially as to taste, possessing a great fondness for an article of food called pone and hominy.
These Indians were descendants of the great Powhatan tribes, who had crossed from the Northern part of Virginia to the Maryland side of the Potomac River.
Reports of this ideal spot on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac, with its mild climate, its wonderful forests, its wild game in great numbers and its great fame as a fishing ground, had spread not only to the neighboring Indian tribes but to the white settlers beyond.
But like many of the Indian tribes the Nachatanks were susceptible to the liquor which the white man had for barter, and first the game of their forests and streams and then their lands were given up to the white man for their indulgences, until they were finally pushed back to the settlements close to the Piscataway River.
Later the white settlers experienced trouble and annoyance from Nacotchtank, the Chief, who with a couple of his warriors would suddenly break in upon their peace and security, and having obtained sufficient fire-water would terrorize the villages by raids of plunder and deviltry.
Later it will be seen this village on the Eastern Branch of the Potomac became known and designated as Uniontown.
Second, The Indian settlement Nacotchtank became the white settlement Anacostia.
The prince of promoters of the Capital City, James Greenleaf, five years or so before the century turn, eighteen hundred, bought on the meanders of the Eastern Branch of the Potowmack, close by the Anacostia Fort. This fort, it can be presumed, was on the heights now within the bounds of Anacostia.
The Eastern Branch ferry connected with Upper Marlborough road where it crossed the Piscataway road which connected with Bladensburg. The ferry was at the foot of Kentucky Avenue and a bridge there was built in 1795 and known as the lower bridge in distinction to that more eastward known as the upper bridge. The Navy Yard created requirement and at the terminus of Eleventh Street was built, 1818, the Navy Yard bridge. That part of the Piscataway road east of the Navy Yard Bridge is the modern Minnesota Avenue. The thin settlement called Anacostia was along the river front near the bridges.
In the Daily National Intelligencer, February 8, 1849 is:
|"A New Post Office is established at Anacostia, Washington County, D. C, and John Lloyd appointed Postmaster. The new office takes the place of 'Good Hope,' which was discontinued in consequence of the removal of the Postmaster."|
On the authority of Mr. Simmons 1 it is stated that the post office designation so continued until 1865 when it was changed to Uniontown to be again Anacostia in 1869.
Right where the crossing of the Navy Yard Bridge on the Anacostia side was complete stood the tavern of Duvall to give the traveler invitation to good cheer. The tavern is there now or rather the shell of it. Not now, is as once was it, the proof of Dr. Samuel Johnson's Boswell-quoted remark: ''There is nothing which has yet been contrived by man by which so much happiness is produced as by a good tavern or inn."
George Simmons in "Roadside Sketches," The Evening Star, December 5, 1891, has:
|"Forty years ago the site of Anacostia was farm lands and was owned by one Enoch Tucker. It formerly belonged to the William Marbury estate and was part of the 'Chichester' tract. There were 240 acres in the Tucker farm, a good part of which was cultivated for truck purposes. Mr. Tucker did not attend to the farm work himself, however, for he was employed as boss blacksmith in the navy yard. The farm was either leased or worked on the share plan. The Tucker farm house stood alone in the old days, and until recently, occupied the site of the present new Pyles block, on the west side of Monroe street, just south of Harrison street and the bridge. In 1854 John Fox and John W. VanHook and John Dobler bought the farm from Tucker for $19,000 and divided it into building lots." 2|
The date of the conveyance from Tucker is June 5, 1854.
The advertisements give the rise, progress and con-summation of the promotion.
Daily Evening Star, June 10, 1854:
Notice to Union Town Lot Holders
Persons in arrears with their monthly dues, are required to pay up or their names will be left out of the drawing.
"Deeds in fee simple," "guaranteed clear of all and every encumbrance," will be given to Lot holders paying up in full at any time after the drawing on Monday Evening next.
Daily Evening Star, July 29, 1854:
|Homes For All |
The Union Land Association having sold and located by ballot the 350 Building Lots advertised during the last two months, are now prepared to sell the remaining 350 lots, "with the privilege of selection."
The subdivision, Uniontown, is recorded in the office of the Surveyor in book Levy Court, No. 2, pages A 83 and B 83, October 9, 1873. Uniontown was between the fork created by the Upper Marborough road and the Piscataway road. To the thoroughfare eastward, a part of the Marlborough road, was given the name Harrison Street and to the thoroughfare southward a part of the Piscataway road was given the name Monroe Street. The other streets of Uniontown likewise were named in honor of the Presidents.
The proximity of the Navy Yard to the bridge no doubt, gave the promoters the belief that many of the employees would take advantage of having a home, with country life adjunct, near their place of business. Uniontown is the first suburban subdivision and because of the river separation is not likely to lose its suburban identity. The Duvall subdivision is to the west of Monroe Street at the river. Other subdivisions fairly encompass the original subdivision.
Mr. Simmons says in the ''Roadside Sketches'':
John Fox and John W. VanHook were the real estate firm of Fox and VanHook for some years prior to 1863. That year it was a firm of commission merchants. In 1864, Mr. VanHook continued as a commission merchant and Mr. Fox became of the firm Fitch, Hine and Fox, attorneys and claim agents. Mr. Fox's business associates are the honorably remembered James E. Fitch and Lemon G. Hine. After 1865, Mr. Fox does not appear in the local directory.
John Welsh VanHook was born in Philadelphia in 1825. At an early age he moved to Baltimore. At Baltimore in conjunction with John Hopkins he did much in suburban development. In 1852 he moved to Washington.
Mr. VanHook was commended by President Lincoln and General Grant for having carried dispatches from Philadelphia to Washington via Baltimore at the time when the last named city was the hot bed of Confederate sympathizers.
He died, April 9, 1905, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Middleton C. Smith, 1616 Nineteenth Street, N. W. Washington, D. C. He is interred in Congressional Cemetery. 4
The residence of Mr. VanHook, ''Cedar Hill,'' became that of Frederick Douglass, the preeminent of his race. Officially, in the District of Columbia, the only colored man to be U. S. Marshal and the first Recorder of Deeds. The property passed to the Frederick Douglass Memorial Association. '
Hiram Pitts who owned and occupied the property eastwardly, adjoining the VanHook mansion, was vigorous to the day of his death, which was in his ninety sixth year. Long he was employed in the U. S. Treasury.
Of Dr. Thomas Antisell in the History of the Medical Society of the District of Columbia is a biographical sketch in detail with two likenesses. He made a geo-logical reconnaissance of southern California and of the territory of Arizona on an expedition for the Pacific Railroad. For Japan he was technologist of a commission to develop the resources of the northern islands of that empire, and was decorated by the Mikado with, the Order of the Rising Sun of Meijis.'' But a review of his activities takes much type space. Dr. Antisell lived in Uniontown or its borders from 1866 to 1871.
Dr. Arthur Christie was an Englishman who inherited quite a large sum from relatives in England. He purchased fifty acres or so between Harrison Street and the Eastern Branch which he made his home and called it Fairlawn. It was patterned after an English estate with pretentious residence, a lodge, and landscape effect.
In every department of life's work, professional, mercantile or otherwise, honorably to be classified, Anacostia has its exponents. Passed away recently that is, October 14, 1919, did the Rev. Willard Goss Davenport. Without any diminution of practicality on account of it, Mr. Davenport had all the naturalness and goodness of Goldsmith's creation, the Vicar of Wakefield. Of his ministry, twenty eight years of it he consecrated to Anacostia. He was a native of Vermont and in a fiction of fact he, in a delightful work ''Blairlee," portrayed the character of the folks of the Green Mountain state.
When Mr. Fox, Mr. VanHook and Mr. Dobler were crossing the bridge on their way to view the prospective purchase for the prospective town they saw on the river's edge opposite the Navy Yard the mansion of George Washington Talburtt. It is there now except the parts knocked off. It is not so near the edge of the water for a wide area of unsightly land has been made by dredging and dumping in the work of reclamation. In the fifties as in the forties, the scene was the same. The streams from the highlands of Montgomery had united and were just beyond to pour their flood to make more majestic the Potomac. Of the "Earth's tall sons, the cedar, oak, and pine" who to full stature had grown even before the days of Lewin Talburtt, the father of George W. were close to the mansion but closer than any other was a mighty chestnut. A little off was the cottage of the overseer (Woodruff) and in sight the quarters of those who did the tillage.
The mansion and its outlook was inspiring. It was a place to be appreciated and appropriate for the tarrying there of a man of wonderful thoughts and of brilliancy in expressing it, if one who could produce a tragedy like Brutus for Edmund Kean to impersonate, like Charles, the Second, for Charles Kemble to impersonate, like Virginius for John McCullough to impersonate for one, who in light vein could unite comedy or who could turn the source of delight to opera.
He who has George Washington Talburtt for his ancestor, not more than two generations in advance he, who strolls here, there and everywhere around these parts and then tells who and what he saw in the strolls in the most delightful way and gives more delight to the most people, he, it is, who told the writer: It is true John Howard Payne and George Washington Talburtt were intimate friends and in their mutuality ''were chummy and rummy." It is not yet forbidden to be chummy but the other exaltedly happy condition is a pleasure of the past, not to return without the country re-reforms.
Mr. Simmons in his ''Roadside Sketch" through and about Anacostia has this to say:
|"The late George W. Talburtt, the then proprietor of the Talburtt estate was the friend and boon companion of Payne. Although there was a disparity in their ages, Payne being much the elder, there was something in their virtues that drew them toward each other. Perhaps it was the love of music, for which they were both noted. And then each was of a convivial turn, and each played and sang well. Both were bachelors when the famous song was written, and their companionship was almost inseparable. They would sit for hours together of a summer evening under the spreading branches of the old tree, singing and playing favorite airs, and it is a matter of neighborhood gossip that jolly old Bacchus looked on approvingly on those occasions."|
This is an excerpt from an autographic letter reproduced in a biography:
The play which Payne sold to Charles Kemble for 30 lb was at the request of the latter, by the former converted into an opera. Payne adapted in a measure a melody heard sung by an Italian peasant girl, to his original words ''Home, Sweet Home.'' It was first sung by Ann Maria Tree in the Covent Garden Theatre, London, May 8, 1823. As often happens in the literary creations of the ages, not the author but his grantee gets the gold therefor. ''The lowly thatched cottage" if suggested by a reality, may have been the boyhood home at East Hampton, Long Island.
Not under the chestnut tree within the Talburtt domain and the purlieus of Anacostia was the immortal song created, yet it can be claimed, confidently, that under the canopy of chestnut boughs these jolly good fellows under the influence and inspiration of that which "maketh merry,'' blended harmoniously their voices in the acclaim: "There's no place like home."
Uniontown although without sidewalks, or street pavements, these being graveled, was becoming a thriving place. Many stores of all kinds having sprung up to accommodate the trade coming from lower down, in Maryland both by Harrison Street and Monroe Street.
Later on, Uniontown, District .of Columbia, having become confused so much with Uniontown, Pennsylvania, and causing so much confusion in business, it was decided to change its name to its original Anacostia.
Since the reorganization of the Anacostia Citizens Association in 1904 the following are some of the improvements that have resulted directly or indirectly from its influence and activities:
The building of a new and modern Police Station and the establishment of the Eleventh Precinct.
The purchase of ground and the erection of the Ketcham School House.
The laying of new street pavement on 14th Street from Good Hope Road to V Street.
The naming and improvement of Logan Park on Fourteenth Street.
Erection of flag pole and flying of flag in Logan Park.
The installation of granolithic sidewalks in several streets.
Regrading and improvements in U, V, and W Streets. Improvements in Thirteenth Street from Good Hope Road to Pleasant Street.
The Association was very active in getting legislation toward the reclamation of the Anacostia Flats.
Also in regard to the location of the causeway of the new bridge.
It has ever been very active and somewhat successful in getting improvements in the street railway service, and was active in getting legislation in connection with the Union Station Branch of the railway up First Street East.
It was active in getting through legislation for placing underground, the electric conduit of the railroad, and which it is hoped to soon see established through Anacostia.
It was instrumental in getting a new building for the Branch Post Office and in obtaining many improvements to the service here in the collection and delivery of mail.
It was successful in having placed gas lamps in many places throughout the locality.
In having Mount View Place and Shannon Place extended.
Labored earnestly for the extension of water mains, etc., which improvement is now underway.
Instrumental in the improvement to the railroad yard.
Its last success was in getting the express and baggage house-to-house delivery and collection, and the delivery of telegrams the same as on the other side of the river.
We are now working on the project of paving and grading Nichols Avenue, and the placing underground of the electric conduit of the street railroad which we expect to succeed in.
We have now all the conveniences the rest of the city affords, but will continue our efforts to make improvements wherever needed through Anacostia. We are only 30 minutes from the center of the city by street cars and 'are the best equipped of any of the outlying parts of Washington City.
All of the principal business places in the heart of the city deliver goods here, while there are here stores of all kinds which supply one with anything he may wish in merchandise and other household necessities.
1. George Simmons, The Evening Star, December 5, 1891.
2. Liber J. A. S., 78, f. 114. Land Records, D. C, 240 a. 5 r. 31 p.
3. See Topographical Map of the District of Columbia surveyed in the years 1856, '57, '58, '59 by A. Boschke.
4. The Washington Post, April 10, 1905.
Source: Records of the Columbia Historical Society, Washington DC, Committee on Publication and the Recording Secretary, Volume 7, Washington, Published b the Society, 1904.
This page was last updated Wednesday, 13-May-2015 18:01:23 EDT
Copyright August @2011 - 2021AHGP The American History and Genealogy Project.
Enjoy the work of our webmasters, provide a link, do not copy their work
The Escambia -class oilers were a class of twelve T2-SE-A2 tankers that served in the United States Navy, built during World War II. The ships were named for United States rivers with Native American names. They were very similar to the Suamico class, differing principally in having the more powerful turboelectric plant of the P2-SE2 transports which developed 10.000 shp.
All ships were decommissioned and transferred to military sea transport service in the postwar period. Several were later transferred to the U.S. army and turned into a floating generating stations, and has served in this role in Vietnam.
1. Ships. (Корабли)
USS Ocklawaha AO-84, 1943.
USS Mascoma AO-83, 1944.
USS Soubarissen AO-93, ex- Mission Santa Ana, converted to water supply ship.
USS Pasig AO-91, ex- Mission San Xavier, converted to AW-3.
USS Tomahawk AO-88, 1944.
USS Kennebago AO-81, 1943.
USS Ponaganset AO-86, 1944.
USS Pamanset AO-85, 1943.
USS Tamalpais AO-96, ex- Mission San Francisco, 1945.
USS Anacostia AO-94, ex- Mission Alamo, 1945.
USS Escambia AO-80, 1943.
USS Sebec AO-87, 1944.
USS Abatan AO-92, ex- Mission San Lorenzo, converted to AW-4.
USS Cahaba AO-82, ex- Lackawapen, 1944.
USS Caney AO-95, ex- Mission Los Angeles, 1945.
- Florida Escambia County, Alabama Escambia class fleet oiler SS Escambia a steam ship registered in Liverpool USS Escambia Fusconaia escambia a mollusc
- USS Escambia AO - 80 was the lead ship of her subclass of the Suamico class of fleet oilers acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War
- Suamico class were a class of 25 United States Navy oilers during World War II. Built to the Maritime Commission T2 - SE - A1 Suamico class - A2 Escambia class
- Type C1 ship Type C2 ship Type C3 ship United States Navy oiler Escambia - class replenishment oiler Betriebsstofftransporter WALCHENSEE - Klasse 703 German
- Liberty ship Type C1 ship Type C2 ship Type C3 ship United States Navy oiler Escambia - class replenishment oiler Eddy - Class Coastal Tankers Historical RFA
- USS Tamalpais AO - 96 was a Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- USS Caney AO - 95 was an Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but necessary
- USS Cahaba AO - 82 was an Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- Type T2 - SE - A2 acquired by the United States Navy and converted to Escambia - class oiler USS Tamalpais AO - 96 placed in National Defense Reserve Fleet in
- Type T2 - SE - A2 acquired by the United States Navy and converted to Escambia - class oiler USS Caney AO - 95 converted to water tanker in 1944 placed in National
- USS Anacostia AO - 94 was a Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- USS Pamanset AO - 85 was a Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- USS Oklawaha AO - 84 was a Escambia - class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- USS Kennebago AO - 81 was an Escambia - class replenishment oiler serving in the United States Navy during World War II. Laid down on 9 January 1943, she
- USS Soubarissen AO - 93 was an Escambia - class fleet oiler converted to a water tanker, named for a chief of the Neutral Indian Nations which, although
- USS Sebec AO - 87 was a Escambia - class fleet oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but necessary
- USS Tomahawk AO - 88 was an Escambia - class fleet oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but necessary
- USS Mascoma AO - 83 was a Escambia - class replenishment oiler constructed for the United States Navy during World War II. She served her country in the
- Naming section of the Navy Historical Center NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo AO - 143 United States Oiler History United States Oiler Naming History.
- States Merchant Marine Academy United States Navy oiler Escambia - class replenishment oiler Eddy - class coastal tanker 1953 of Royal Navy National Park
- unincorporated community located on Santa Rosa Island, a barrier island, in Escambia County, Florida, United States. It is situated south of Pensacola and
- Type C1 ship Type C2 ship Type C3 ship United States Navy oiler Escambia - class replenishment oiler Hayler and Keever, 2003: 14 - 2. UNCTAD 2006, p. 4. Huber
- a brief respite but was at sea again on 10 September escorting the oiler Escambia AO - 80 to Okinawa before sailing for home on 1 October. After a brief
- sections: the bow in early 2003 and the aft section in late 2003. Escambia - class replenishment oiler List of Type T2 Tanker names Liberty ship Type C1 ship Type
- United States Navy Henry J. Kaiser - class oiler USS Abel P. Upshur DD - 193 was a United States Navy Clemson - class destroyer until World War II USS Garfield
- USS Cohocton AO - 101 was lead ship of her class of fleet oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but
- River, which forms the western boundary of Florida Escambia Bay and East Bay, fed by the Escambia River and Blackwater River, respectively Choctawhatchee
- Poseidon. June 4 Tar balls arrive on beaches in Pensacola, Florida. However, Escambia County, Florida officials do not close the beaches. Mississippi has not
- Osterhaus DE - 164 and Acree DE - 167 on 22 March to escort oilers Kankakee AO - 39 Escambia AO - 80 and Atascosa AO - 66 Whitehurst and Atascosa were
- Escalante, Neshanic, Niobrara, Millicoma, Saranac, Cossatot, Cowanesque, Escambia Cahaba, Mascoma, Ocklawaha, Ponaganset, Sebec, Tomahawk, Anacostia 16
Cold Water Sank the TITANIC Disaster City.
PREP FOOTBALL AISA Class A Semifinal Chambers Academy 41, Lowndes 17 AISA Class AA Semifinal Escambia Academy 54, Clarke Prep 24 AISA Class. A place called wallace Escambia County Historical Society. AO - Fleet Oilers In addition to bunker fuel for ships, the Fleet Oilers carried gasoline for ships boats, aviation fuel, Escambia Class. USS Kennebago AO 81, Escambia class oiler. Near the Mare Island. Category:Escambia class oilers. media category. In more languages. Spanish. No label defined. categoria de media. Traditional Chinese. No label.
Anacostia AO 94 Hist.
The same ship as a Navy Fleet Oiler carried a crew of 250 to 325. Skeleton deck carrying planes Allagash, T3 S2 A1 Ashtabula class, completed as AO 97 USN Allatoona, T2 SE A1 Escambia, T2 SE A2, AO 80 USN Escatawpa, T1 M A2,. Escambia county community development block Vendor Registry. 53 5011, Sailors and Marine Oilers, detail, 40, 42.9%, 0.214, 1.00, $17.82, $17.40, $36.190, 10.9%. 53 5021, Captains, Mates, and Pilots of. Category:Escambia class oilers data. Class Oiler Ship Cap AO MilitaryBest Custom Escambia. 0.35 cttw AFFY Round White Cubic Zirconia Mens Wedding Band Ring in 14k Gold Over Sterling Silver,. Escambia Class Replenishment Oiler Models SD Model Makers. Cimarron class oiler Escambia class oiler Kennebec class oiler Mission Buenaventura class fleet oiler Patoka class oiler Suamico class oiler T2 tanker. Dd 828 uss timmerman gearing class destroyer ship military patch. College, FL and the School Board of Escambia County, FL Florida. during and after normal class hours through the effective use of the Colleges programs on Colleges SACSCOC polic on substantive change. requests to oIler specific.
The Santa Rosa press gazette ALL ISSUES CITATION SEARCH.
Was a Escambia class fleet oiler acquired by the U.S. Navy for use during World War II. She had the dangerous but necessary task of providing fuel to vessels in. Columbia College Mack Frost. Escambia and Santa Rosa counties each recorded two more COVID 19 deaths on Saturday, I really like our team: GCs Petree adds 8 newcomers to 3 returners with initial recruiting class Blackhawks stun Oilers 6 4 in series opener. Class Fuel Hauler Jobs, Employment. The Navys first fuel ships designed and built as oilers, rather than colliers, the Kanawha class Her name was given to one of the Escambia class, AO 91. Top 50 high school running backs of all time MaxPreps. The Escambia class oilers were a class of twelve T2 SE A2 tankers T2 tanker – The T2 tanker Hat Creek in August 1943 ○ The T2 tanker Pendleton bow in. Collective Bargaining Agreements U.S. Department of Labor. Of course, there was no problem of resupply of ammunition because the force All the ships were fueled here, and the oilers Trinity and Pecos refilled with oil were the Tappahannock, Neches, Suamico, Ashtabula, Kankakee, Escambia,.
USS Escambia AO 80 Military Fandom.
1 and Denver Classroom Teachers Association Addendum 1984 Escambia County District School Board and Escambia Education Support Oilers IBFO, Service Employees International Union SEIU, AFL CIO CLC, Local 1221 1998 . US NAVY USS Ocklawaha Ao 84 Escambia Class Replenishment. This was the first of a series of eight ESCAMBIA or 80 class fleet oilers. Shakedown cruise was held in the San Francisco San Pedro San Diego area.
AUb I ZU1f Florida Department of Education.
The Escambia class oilers were a class of twelve T2 SE A2 tankers that served in the United States Navy, built during World War II. The ships were named for. Tamalpais AO 96 Haze Gray & Underway. USS Caney AO 95 Escambia class replenishment oiler patch. Escambia class Oilers Allied Warships of WWII. The Class of 1945W as part of the Navys wartime ROTC program. He served in the South Pacific aboard the U.S.S Escambia, a Navy oiler,.
Barrancas National Cemetery Surnames Ko Lam Escambia.
The USS Escambia was the first of eight Escambia Class Fleet Oilers, commissioned by the Navy on 28 October 1943, supplying the Third Fleet. Unknown Carrier watches over an unknown oiler as it goes through. Pages in category Escambia class oilers. The following 15 pages are in this category, out of 15 total. This list may not reflect recent changes learn more.
CAHABA AO 82 NavalCoverMuseum.
Chiwawa Class – June 1942. Kennebec Class Escambia Class – April 1943. USS Cimarron, first of the Navys many World War II era T3 S2 A1 type oilers. United States Armed Forces Kylar Fandom. Fleet Oiler Lineage. Hull No. Ship Name. Class. Builder. Fiscal Year. Ordered Escambia. Escambia T2 SE A2. Marinship. FY43. 10 28 1943. AO 81. Escambia AO 80 Class Shipscribe. Our ship was a Fleet Tanker or Fleet Oiler, the first of its class, the USS Escambia length 523 feet 6 inches, beam 68 feet, draft 30 feet ten inches, speed 16 knots.
Port Orford Today! Vol. 14, 15 HOME z.com.
The Escambia class oilers were a class of twelve T2 SE A2 tankers that served in the United States Navy, built during World War II. The ships were named for United States rivers with Native American names. USS Nemasket AOG 10, Patapsco Class Gasoline Tanker. Model. Starting from welders arc strike on deck of ship. The USS Ponaganset AO 86 was a T 2 tanker, a Escambia class Fleet Oiler, built at Marinship in Sausalito,. USS Cahaba AO 82 Academic Dictionaries and Encyclopedias. Escambia Class, U.S. Oilers. Photograph of fleet oiler Escambia Mare Island Shipyard 5595 43. Via Specifications:.
T2 tanker pedia WordDisk.
USS Cahaba AO 82 was an Escambia class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the Следующая Войти. GUIDELINES FOR MARINE ARTIFICIAL REEF MATERIALS. Oct 18, 2016 USS Kennebago AO 81, Escambia class oiler. Near the Mare Island Navy Yard on 16 December 1943 soon after completion.
AO 80 USS Escambia Ibiblio.
Was a class of oil tanker constructed and produced in large quantities in the United States during World War II. Only the T3 tankers were larger navy oilers of. Beans, Bullets, and Black Oil Naval History and Heritage Command. Type, Oiler. Displacement, 5782 BRT. Length, 523 feet. Complement, 267 men. Armament, 1 5 DP gun 4 3 AA guns 4x1 8 40mm AA 4x2 8 20mm AA 4x2. PPT WORLD WAR II ERA PowerPoint Presentation, free download. T2 SE A2 AO 80 Escambia AO 111 Mission Buenaventura AW 3 Pasig Freight Supply, the T 2 Tanker, and the later war Victory class ship, They were taken over by the US Navy in 1942, and completed as Navy oilers.
Escambia County, Florida.
AO: Fleet Oilers Hull Number, Name, Class, Type, Camouflage Design, Design Date, Paint AO 82, Cahaba, Escambia, T2 SE A2, 32 5AO, 2 29 44, 6 2 44. Escambia Class, U.S. Oile The Pacific War Online Encyclopedia. Patapsco Class Gasoline Tanker Model airplanes ships aircraft aviation. Custom limited Ask us to make any of the following Oiler or Tanker AO models for you! Fleet Oilers AO 80 Escambia AO 81 Kennebago. Escambia class oiler Visually. USS Escambia AO 80 was the lead ship of her subclass of the Suamico class of fleet oilers. Sports Alabama News. USS Cahaba AO 82 was an Escambia class replenishment oiler acquired by the United States Navy for use during World War II. She had the Следующая Войти Настройки Конфиденциальность Условия. BJT2tanker Total Navy. Emmitt Smith, Escambia Pensacola, Fla. Earned an AFL championship with the Houston Oilers and led the league in kickoff returns. High school: After leading his team to a Class 4A state championship and rushing for.
Raymond J. Kragness Papers Collection Guides.
Than the Liberty class for artificial reef construction. Initially The Liberty ship Joseph L. Meek, sunk off Escambia County, Florida in 1976 A few such examples have been a 160 foot yard oiler South Carolina sank upside. V A 7.pdf Escambia County School District. Class Escambia. Tamalpais AO 96 was laid The fleet oiler departed San Francisco on 7 June for shakedown training out of San Diego. On the 16th, she was. 100 years of Florida high school football: The 100 greatest players. Escambia County: Federal Labor Standards Provisions. Page 1. ESCAMBIA COUNTY 32.05. 9.20. OPERATOR: Oiler.$ 23.50. 9.20.
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) is comprised of the former Naval Support Facility Anacostia, the former Bolling Air Force Base and the Bellevue Housing Area.
It is a 1018 acre military installation, located in Southeast D.C., situated between the Potomac and Anacostia rivers and Interstate 295, in the Anacostia and Congress Heights areas.
The installation is the center of Air Force and Navy ceremonial support, among other missions performed by the nearly 50 military and federal agencies on the installation. Its service to the country, active-duty, reserve, retired and visiting military, as well as personnel deployed around the world, is an important one.
Many of JBAB’s nearly 14,000 military and civilian personnel, also contribute countless hours performing community service and helping enrich the lives of adults and children in the surrounding neighborhoods, communities and schools, during their time away from work.
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) is a 1018 acre military installation, located in Southeast Washington, D.C., established on Oct. 1, 2010 in accordance with congressional legislation implementing the recommendations of the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission.
The legislation ordered the consolidation of Naval Support Facility Anacostia (NSF) and Bolling Air Force Base (BAFB), which were adjoining, but separate military installations, into a single joint base – one of 12 joint bases formed in the country as a result of the law.
Joint Base Anacostia-Bolling (JBAB) history began with a 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission (BRAC) recommendation that resulted in congressional legislation ordering the consolidation of Naval Support Facility (NSF) Anacostia and Bolling Air Force Base (BAFB).
The joint base is one of 12 formed in the country, consolidating 26 installations.
With NSF and BAFB sharing a common boundary, military and congressional leaders recognized the opportunity to reduce duplication of efforts and facilities requirements better utilization of facilities and infrastructure and consolidation and optimization of existing and future service contract requirements, capable of generating financial savings.
Years of planning, followed by a gradual transition of installation management functions performed by civilian, military and contract personnel at culminated in the smooth transition of base operating support management under a single, Navy-led joint military command.
Since the BRAC legislation was enacted, Air Force and Navy planners, support personnel and leaders steadfastly worked to ensure a smooth transition to JBAB. The transition began with an initial operating capability on Jan. 31, 2010, when certain installation support functions began to transfer to the joint base construct and reached full operational capability on Oct. 1, 2010.
Provide Exceptional Mission Support and Base Services Through Pride, Teamwork, and Excellence.
The installation is the center of Air Force and Navy ceremonial support, among other missions performed by the nearly 50 military and federal agencies on the installation. Its service to the country, active-duty, reserve, retired and visiting military, as well as personnel deployed around the world, is an important one.
Many of JBAB’s nearly 14,000 military and civilian personnel, also contribute countless hours performing community service and helping enrich the lives of adults and children in the surrounding neighborhoods, communities and schools during their time away from work.
There is NO base shuttle bus service on Bolling, but there is a shuttle bus provided between Bolling and the Pentagon. Bus service departs the base weekdays every half hour with the first bus leaving Bolling at 8:00am, making 6 stops on base and arriving at the Pentagon 30 minutes later. The first bus departs the Pentagon at 8:40am for Bolling and every half hour thereafter until 16:10. This in NOT meant to be commuter transportation for those living on Bolling and working at the Pentagon.
A sponsor is someone from your new unit who is assigned to assist you in settling into your new location. You must request a sponsor through your unit. You can learn more about the sponsorship program and how to apply through your Relocation Assistance Program or the Family Center at your new installation.
Your Service will appoint your sponsor in writing. He/she will be the same or close to your rank and the same marital status, if at all possible. This person will be knowledgeable about the local community and the installation available to assist you and your family for at least two weeks post arrival, and be someone who is positive and outgoing.
Sponsors’ responsibilities and abilities to be available will vary from installation to installation, depending upon the priority which the installation and unit commanders give to the program however, the Services are making the Sponsorship program a priority as research has shown the many benefits of good sponsorship to service, family members and youth.
The Navy Lodge provides lodging for official and leisure travel for our U.S. Military families, coast guard, and DoD Civilians worldwide.
Located at 12 Bowline Green, S.W. Bldg 4412 Washington, D.C.
Newly renovated family size rooms – Pet friendly rooms – Breakfast to go – Wireless Internet access – Full size kitchenettes – Multilingual staff
For more information visit www.navy-lodge.com or call 202-563-6950/1-800628-9466.
When it’s time to move, whether in CONUS or OCONUS, the Relocation Assistance Program can provide you with information to make your move a success. Individual and family counseling is available to provide you with up-to-date information on such concerns as childcare, schools, housing, employment and medical facilities at your new location. Ask the experts at our Smooth Move & Overseas Planning Seminar. Lending Locker gear is available for check out with such items as: dishes, pots and pans, silverware, toaster, iron, coffee pot, and air mattresses.
For more information regarding Relocation Assistance please contact:
MFSC Information and Referral Services
202-433-6151 or 202-767-0450
Critical Installation Information
Navy personnel should report to PSD. PSD provides pay, personnel, administrative, and passenger transportation services to over 450 units worldwide (including Presidential staffs, Secretary of the Navy, Chief of Naval Operations, 17 flag commands, and 120 Naval Attaches around the world). Support is also provided to more than 9,500 Active and 3,600 Reserve military personnel, including retired personnel, and their eligible family members in the Washington, DC metropolitan area.
Frequently Called Numbers on Base
11th Medical Group (Bolling Clinic) 202-767-5533 DSN: 297-5536
Bolling Area Home Educators (BAHE) 202-574-0229
Bolling Youth Center 202-767-4003 DSN: 297-4003
Child Development Center I (Bolling) (202) 767-2890 DSN: 297-2890
Dental Appointments (202) 767-5626/7/8/9 DSN: 297-5626
DiLorenzo Triservice Health Clinic (Pentagon) 703-692-8810
Family Child Care Program : (202) 404-1454 DSN: 754-1454
Lodging 202-404-7050 DSN: 754-7050
Pentagon – Housing Referral Office (USAF) 202-404-1840 DSN: 754-1840